- Quantify chemical and physical weathering rates for two Arctic catchments.
- Determine the impact of glaciation on (shale) weathering rates.
- Determine the impact of changes in permafrost depth on weathering rates.
- Be able to explain the chemical composition of the streams in terms of specific weathering reactions.
- Provide infrastructure for long-term monitoring of these two arctic catchments.
Specific aims for 2012
- Successfully install and calibrate the meteorological and hydrological monitoring equipment.
- Calculate suspended sediment budgets for both streams.
- Calculate annual and precipitation corrected dissolved flux budgets for major elements for both catchments.
- Perform mineral separations and determine the chemical compositions of minerals for an initial set of rock samples.